Profile

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Who would have thought?

Those who have known me for anytime can tell you what my favorite time of day is. I love mornings. I love to see the darkness give way to the light. I love the soft shadows that play along the streets as they are chased away. The air is fresher after a night of slumber. Dew often hugs the grass. Sometimes a gentle breeze awakens the leaves. It is quiet. The nocturnal animals are settled into their beds. The morning animals are just beginning to stir. Few people are en route to their work or school. In my house, no one else is awake. I can think. Yet, as my circumstances have changed, and mornings are usually my most difficult time of the day (physically/emotionally), and I need to limit exposure to sunlight, I determined to stay up later at night. Who would have thought? After the sun sets, I walk with Trevor and sometimes I sit on our deck to enjoy the outside. This is not a quiet time: The cicadas and frogs are VERY loud. It seems no animals are sleeping. Cars are coming and going. More planes zip towards the airport. Machines buzz. Our sons prefer the night hours. Friends and family on the West Coast are more available to chat at night (their evening). Yet, God is using this time for some more prayer, little spurts of energy to do something creative (gasp!), and interacting more with our family and friends. Trevor likes that when he awakes I am still in the bedroom. Who would have thought that God would bring such a transition into my life? Maybe the morning treasures will be returned to me, but right now I think I will dig what I can out the night. Maybe I will discover jewels in this blanket of darkness for my God created both the night and the day. Maybe night will become a friend. "The Lord will command His lovingkindness in the daytime; and His song will be with me in the night. A prayer to the God of my life." Psalm 42:8

No comments: