Profile

Friday, August 20, 2010

Tools for Moms

Our homeschooling resumes next week. Only one child left at home. Very strange transition. We don't really like it. But, as I am contemplating this reduction in class-size, I am also remembering the tricky parts of having many young children at home. There were times I wanted the "Take a Number" system as you see at some delis and Department of Motor Vehicles. We discovered that young children (and some adults) need to learn the correct transition to interrupt a conversation or activity. The most helpful tool was having the child gently place their hand on our arms to indicate that they wanted/needed our attention or wanted to participate in the discussion. We practiced it at home before taking it public, and it worked extremely well. I do want to warn moms that you have to be very specific with some children to place their hand, not lean or tap their hand, to get the attention! Some people are just more insistent and it can be a distraction. The parent also makes a commitment that she will close the conversation and give the child attention as soon as is reasonable. Now, in our time of training and educating, I discovered this polite interruption technique is also very helpful. For us, it took place most often during our educational hours, but we also used it doing our together work times because I might be in the middle of reading a recipe or helping another child learn a task. We also took it one step further. We placed "Mommy-Pass" cards in a pocket on our wall. Each child had at least one card with his/her name written on it (non-readers had their name plus a symbol). When I was working with someone else and another child wanted my attention, they would remove their card from the pocket and place it next to me. They were then to proceed with another activity until I was able to meet them. Thus, they continued After I met with them, I placed the card backwards in the pocket so we knew it had been used. This was wonderful! There were so many moments when a child was on the brink of that educational breakthrough and I could finish working with them without interruption. It made for a more pleasant school time for all of us. One other benefit we discovered was that children began to work out more of the problems on their own. As our children matured, they had less "Mommy Pass" cards available to them. Then as they approached me with their card, I could also most see them thinking, "Is this really worth a Mommy Pass card? Oh, now I remember how to do that exercise," or "I had a similar problem before; I will look at that," or "I will try doing that chore on my own again." They were excited and I was excited that they discovered different pathways to come up with an answer. Another reminder that transitions can be formulas for learning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, your advice is always so right on track. You have such a wealth of knowledge to share.
Nathalie

gutmanfam said...

I remember you sharing this before ... but of course I had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder at just the right time - the interruptions are driving me crazy!!! :)