Profile

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mommy Tool: Remembering

God's timing is such a blessing: Just when I am dealing with mental fog, he puts a memorization technique unit before us for academic learning (as well as many applications in real life).

But this has jogged my memory of threelittle tools I used to help my children remember the instruction I gave them. Maybe you will find them helpful as well.

1. Give them four things to do and have them use their fingers (on one hand) to go over each of the things and the fifth finger is for a hug from Mom so they can report they did the other things. You may have to start with only two instructions for younger children and build it from there. Remember, the hug and success is the goal! This technique is especially helpful for regular lists like what to do after they get up in the morning: finger 1: Change clothes; finger 2: put away pajamas; finger 3: brush teeth; finger 4: feed dog; finger 5/thumb: Hug Mom!

2. Give an instruction and link it to a silly word. "After you finish your board game, please go pick up the toys in the yard. Pumpernickel!" The child then has to repeat the silly word, after he says, "Yes, Mom," of course! Then when he claims those were not the instructions or he never heard you say that (it does happen :), you can gently remind him of the silly word. I usually just start to say it and they can finish it. Or sometimes I will just tell them that a silly word was attached to the instruction--and they will remember the word, and then the instructions. Ouch! Do not rush to give them the whole word because if they have to say it, they are accepting more responsibility and building their memory. This is also a very helpful technique for those children who struggle to wake in the morning and claim you never woke them up! I make them repeat a silly word before I leave their room and they do indeed remember the word when I remind them of it.

3. Finally, relating the known task/assignment from a known thing to an unknown is a very helpful tool. I just found out that orators of old (when written language was not as common as it is now), remembered the flow of their stories by associating it with things within a common building (as their houses). This technique has been especially helpful in our academic studies: "How is multiplication like addition" for example (answer--multiplication is rapid addition and you show this with examples, of course). I love how Joyce Herzog uses this technique in the Scaredy Cat Reading System: Vowels are scared and brave and when they are scared they make scared sounds. When they are brave, they can say their names. Now what child has problems understanding "brave" and "scared". Now they just need to learn what is scaring those vowels!

As you practice these skills, you will find yourself making new applications all the time--even to your own work around the house. Don't forget the hug when you finish your four things.

2 comments:

emily said...

Boy Carolyn- I sure do miss you. Not just for you Godly counsel and mommy wisdom. I just miss seeing your face. :(

gutmanfam said...

I tried the fingers with Hannah this morning. It worked pretty well, and with a little more practice she'll have it down. (I know I've heard you give that advice before, I just forgot while I was stuck in Mommy Fog for a few years.) She loved being able to accomplish all of her fingers. But it was funny to watch her try to clear the table with one or two fingers up! :)