Profile

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Warning about Togetherness

Recently I was reflecting on our son's departure to the Army. I realized that I am experiencing what many people experience when they send their children to day care or kindergarten. I am missing our togetherness. This is something you have to be willing to face at some time in a child's life. Most people do it earlier, like when the kids are 6 0r 7. Because we have homeschooled through high school and have focused togetherness and the home as the center of the spinning wheel, I have years of full day (and sometimes, night) interaction with our children before they leave home as young adults. So, I am just posting this as a warning to those "together families", and because I have encouraged that togetherness, you have to be willing to face the transition of them leaving to pursue what God is calling them to pursue and know that their absence will impact your heart and life.

1 comment:

gutmanfam said...

I've thought about you a lot along those lines as you started marrying off children, and now with Josiah off to the army. We prepare our kids to go off into the world, right? But who prepares us to send them out? I can imagine the heartache that awaits in just a few short years. Heartache, mingled with pleasure and pride, I'm sure. May the God of all comfort be especially near you!
(And thanks for the warning!) :)