Profile

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Milkshakes and Coffee

Besides being extra yummy, what do these have in common? My son and I are looking for our favorite place to obtain these delicious treats: coffee for me; milkshake for him. When we first moved here, due to the generous gift of some Meaningful Moms in California, I was armed with a Starbucks card that allowed me to escape to the familiar. I discovered how comforting it is to have something familiar when you are in transition--once upon it was a baby blanket (with a silky part), now it is a coffee shop. However, Louisiville boasts many independent coffee shops and now Starbucks is fading from the selection list. In fact, the search for a favorite coffee place was one of the things I started to do to enjoy this city more. I would go sit and read or just ponder while enjoying a latte. Not only does the atmosphere need to accommodate thinking, the lighting needs to be enjoyable, and the lattes (served in a mug, not a paper cup) worth returning to enjoy. It is an extra benefit if I can share the time with a friend. My son's criteria is different: The milkshake needs to be made with ice cream (novel concept, I know, but this is opposed to chemicals we cannot pronounce). It has to taste like a milkshake and cannot be too small. It must be smooth and creamy. Chocolate is his comparative flavor. The offer of whipped cream is a bonus. We are encountering more difficulty in locating real milkshakes than real coffee. I have discovered a favorite coffee shop long before I even tried all the options. Oops! Now what do I do? I will need to brave into other shops and consider it an adventure but all will be compared to Day's Espresso which consistently hits the mark. However, there may be someplace lurking out there that will delight my palate and senses. Yes, searching for a coffee place has helped me appreciate this city. I found myself looking for a little local flavor in Southern California but Starbucks and Paneras has taken over the state. Both are good and I have good memories of enjoying friendships in these chains but I was missing Day's or Quill's. So, how about you come enjoy some coffee with me at a new-to-me little, local coffee shop because nothing can take the place of my special friends and family from afar! And if coffee isn't your thing, we can find a milkshake. The Lesson: Learn to find something special and different about the place God has placed me.

No comments: