Profile

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Promises, Priorities, and Procrastination

In this season of my life I am seeing the link between these three elements: promises, priorities, and procrastination.

A promise, to me, is a commitment. I take these very seriously and do everything I possibly can to fulfill them. A promise means if I say I will call you later in the week, I call. If I tell someone I am attending a meeting, I go (and arrive on time). If I give my son extra entertainment screen time, I follow through though this is one of my least favorite things. Because a promise is taken seriously, I make sure that my children (who are VERY capable of remembering a favoring promise) understand when I am promising versus when something might happen. I think honoring a promise is reflecting our Lord Who fulfills all of His promises.

Preferences do not make priorities. Needs and the authority of scripture should dictate my priorities.  My husband and I plan dates because our marriage is a priority. Right now, to follow this medical protocol requires me to place a higher emphasis on rest, food preparation, and regular routines. I do not like this, but it is a priority. A dear friend recently told me that she was having to give up something she thoroughly enjoys to see if this reduces her intense pain. Needs create priorities.

Promises and priorities are carefully linked. Priorities are a good screening of many promises. We do not make promises that conflict with keeping our date nights. Homeschooling and parenting require time and energy. Do outside activities compliment or take away from those priorities? We guard our time with Nepalese refugees but do not let it consume our lives because this is not all that God has called us to do.  So, priorities influence what I promise to others. This is a very good discipline. It is not easy, but it is necessary.

On the flip side, promises create priorities. Fulfilling the promise means other things must submit to it. Isn't this what frustrates us about our political and legal system: The promises are not what really happens? So, let's be different and say that when we make a promise, we will make it a priority in our lives to fulfill it barring obstacles we cannot foresee.

Sorry to all the procrastinators out there but  I never understood procrastination until I became chronically ill. It was so much easier just to get it done and not let it simmer on the burner of my mind! Now, there are days when I honestly think that a certain project will be easier to tackle when my mind is clearer or my body is stronger. You know what I mean--nothing is just flowing easily and when I get up the next day, inspiration or desperation might just drive me to be able to accomplish XYZ. Are you laughing at me?

As much as I would like to say, in my weak body, that procrastination has become a welcomed friend because genius and clarity arrive when I wait, I would be fooling myself. It is just as likely that the next day my mind will be groggy and my body weak (or maybe groggier and weaker). So, I may need to fulfill those priorities and promises within my present weakened state and accept that my efforts were not perfect or inspired! Argh, is my pride showing?

I need to be careful about promises and allow time and energy for priorities. It is helpful to have a variety of priorities before me: physical, mental, emotional. This way I can vary what I am doing throughout the day to accommodate for my varying physical/mental capabilities while still working towards priorities. Finally, it has been invaluable to readily admit when I could not keep a priority, "I promised I would do XYZ but this is why I could not accomplish it ________________. I am sorry."  Friends and family can be quite understanding if I am characterized by fulfilling my promises and keeping my priorities. They do not always expect me to be perfect!

No comments: