Profile

Friday, October 8, 2010

MP: Insurance vs. Assurance

Recently I was notified by my medical insurance company that they will no longer underwrite Benicar, a necessary component of the Marshall Protocol, for their customers. This will substantially increase my medical costs in continuing this protocol. In order to prove this is the ONLY drug that will work, we would have to show documentation of trying all their other "drugs of choice"--none of which provide the necessary cellular action to heal my body.

This situation has made me ponder the difference between Insurance and Assurance.We will examine the roots of these words--

Insure--provide or obtain coverage by contract on or against a loss; to make certain by taking necessary measures and precaution

Assure--to make safe; to give confidence to; to make sure or certain; convince; inform positively; to make certain the coming or attainment of

Insurance is based on rules. The medical insurance company made a contract with us that included the coverage of Benicar. Yet, they decided to change that contract to protect their financial loss on this very drug without regard for my loss. To insure is a business arrangement. Good thing to remember when jumping through their endless hoops and being on the receiving end of their limited-knowledge decisions.

Assurance is based on a relationship. These are the very terms that apply to my doctor as he walks me through the MP. He cannot assure the results but he provides knowledge that encourages me to continue and a way to do so safely. This also applies to others who have walked this path before me. None of us is guaranteed a certain outcome but we can encourage one another to take the next step.

I am challenged to consider if, in my roles (mother, wife, friend, daughter, sister), is it my desire to act with insurance (rules; contracts) or with assurance (safe, confident, encouraging relationships)? The rules are so easy to check off and one party can change the rules to their benefit! So enticing.

Yet, as I ponder Insurance vs Assurance I must consider my example:

The One True God Who Provides--

Assurance of Hope--Hebrews 6:11
Assurance to Draw Near to God--Hebrews 10:22
Assurance of Things Hoped For--Hebrews 11:1

Oh, the very things I want from the insurance company are simply a foretaste for what God promises, and He is the Only One can provide it. And His promises are sure.

So next time I have to pay more for Benicar or fill out the multitude of forms for the insurance company or face another hurdle, I pray I will rest in God's assurances. And if I don't, you have my permission to remind me to do so! Better yet, just start reading God's promises to me :) I am less likely to disagree!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Oh dear Carolyn….don't you ever be pulling the 'insurance' thing with this sister!!!! Heh heh. I love this post! It's a good reminder that all we have been designed for is arranged around relationship. Praying for you!