Profile

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Food Transitions: Eating "Real Food"

 When we moved to Kentucky, God challenged us to refine our diets in many ways. Mainly, we are eating more and more of foods; less and less of ingredients we cannot pronounce. We call it eating "real food". We purchase our beef and milk directly from the farmers that raise it. I continue to make the majority of our food from scratch. No canned soup in the house to add to a casserole.

Some different aspects played into this decision but it is a balancing act between budget, convictions, and life circumstances.

One of the instrumental aspects of transition was reading Fast Food Nation as part of our homeschooling. Not only did we get a lesson in nutrition but we also hit business practices and history. I love how my sons applied their convictions to real life situations and discovered that real food tastes better than what people can make.I also read In Defense of Food and our sons read part of this. Both authors have very good support for their claims but all fall short in looking to honoring God as the Creator and Provider of our food.

We are very grateful for the co-op (or food buying club) we are part of and all the research the leaders do to find farmers who use good farming practices and that we can purchase some items at reduced prices. However, I must admit that most people there have come to make food an idol in another way--focusing on it to heal, support, and meet their needs if they follow a certain way of eating.  More and more of their time is taken up with studying food rather than studying God and His Word.

It was wrong of us to make the dollar a determining factor in food purchases. Cost does not necessarily equate quality. But of course, we have to live within the budget God has given us otherwise we are not honoring Him. Right now we are spending more money on groceries (and have reduced other areas in our budget) but we believe it will reduce medical costs. I have seen that my sons are not as hungry as they once were--is this because they preferred the refined snacky foods or real food fills them up better? I am not sure, but eating less does set off the extra cost of the foods.

Eating in this way requires WAY more time in the kitchen. More cutting, dicing, and mixing. I thought I made a lot from scratch before but this has taken it to a new level. Again, if I want this to be a situation that honors my Lord, I need to make sure this is not robbing from other priorities He has given me. Playing praise music while preparing food helps. Involving others is a good way to cut the labor and have conversation.

Making these sort of transitions requires me, again, to come before the Lord for wisdom! Imagine that! There are so many competing ideas out there but God loves to give His wisdom to those who ask.

No comments: