Profile

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Promises, Priorities and Procrastination, Part 2

Promises: "Little" things set a pattern for fulfilling promises. Did I promise to read a book to a child after dinner? Did I say I would come early to help with the set up? Did I tell God I would respond to the next nudge to give generously?

Priorities: Priorities need to change with the seasons of life that God brings. Feeling ill has caused my priorities to change a lot. Pregnancy or having little ones around will do this as well. It is important to remember that God has given us the same amount of time and we are to be good stewards of that time--that means doing what He desires with that time. I think being chronically ill has helped refine my priorities. I need to accept this as a way God is refining me.

Procrastination: We rarely procrastinate on those things that are easy for us to do or we find enjoyable. So, it does help to sandwich the harder things between the more enjoyable/easier activities. One time, I had a huge project list. I also had a compelling novel. So, I got to read a chapter after an item was crossed off the list. This time, I flew through both! Other times, I break down something difficult into smaller steps. It just helps.

2 comments:

gutmanfam said...

I have definitely seen how God has been changing our priorities in the last few months. Field trips are no longer very high on my priority list, but simplicity is. Outside commitments have had to take a back seat to family needs. Thanks for the reminder that it's all part of refining and I should be grateful for it!

Christine said...

So does this mean that i should just quit looking around the house at all that needs to be done, and actually do it? (ha ha) Seriously though...this IS a good reminder of BALANCE in our lives. Thanks sis!