Profile

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Mommy Tool: Giving to transients

We often see people who have been caught in transitions; not sure if they can get out or maybe they want to remain stuck right in their present state. We call these people "transients".

Knowing that Christ loves the least of these and demonstrates His lovingkindness to all who are in need, I wanted to follow His example. Mostly these people ask for money but my husband and I agreed that was not being a good steward usually. Another person makes a bunch of sandwiches and carries them to the streets. But I wanted something I where I could respond as I walked along the way and in which my children could see that we reach out to everyone.

So, we keep bottles of water and granola bars in our car for the purpose of giving them away with some kind words. Now, instead of replying "no" to a request for money, I can hand them something that might benefit them in this time of transition.

Simple, easy, and infinitely better than what I used to do which was walking by them with my eyes avoiding theirs. God is reminding me that we are all in some sort of transition in this life.

No comments: