Profile

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Which "I" will win?

It was one of those times that I do not care to repeat: My husband experienced a very harsh reaction to an antibiotic which laid him out for 48 hours; Being overcharged at the doctor's office and facing the billing department soon; the dog was diagnosed with a double ligament tear in her knee requiring 3 or more months of rest; the internet went down just before I had to go to appointments and leave my son to do his internet based schoolwork; the carpet cleaners promised me they would arrive by 9am. I had to cancel that service when they still had not showed and I had to leave for an appointment; I had four errands I needed to complete on top of the additional, unexpected needs; My hope for the day was to spend the afternoon quietly completing some paperwork/cyberwork. That did not happen and will need attention another day.

Can you relate? In the midst of this day God reminded me of a simple statement that has helped me through those times. I play it in a cadence in my head to help sort out my feelings:

Is this _______(circumstance)_____________
an Inconvenience
an Interruption
an Irritation
or really IMPORTANT

I admit that I still struggle and certainly want to be " I " focused. When I had little ones around our home, this cadence was essential! Today has been filled with doubt, but if I truly evaluate the stuff of life, I realize that the really IMPORTANT needs to set my tempo/attitude--NOT the inconvenient, interruptions, or the irritations.


No comments: