Profile

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Yep, coffee cups strike again

i have enjoyed some movies set in the 1940s or 1950s. Yes, it is a unique person who notes this but I saw their coffee cups. Notice, I said "cups" not mugs. These are petite (that means little and delicate) cups. Now why would I even notice except the mugs hanging under my cupboards and my pure enjoyment of ordering a latte (extra foamy) and having it served in a mug NOT a paper cup.

Being a homeschooler such an observation of course leads to experimentation. So I measured. Courtesy of my mother's housecleaning skills I have an old set of coffee cups. I filled it with tap water, so as not to waste any coffee and then measured the water: 6 ounces. That is NOT a typo. It held comfortably 6 ounces of liquid.

Now I drew out my medium-sized mug and discovered it held 12 ounces of water, twice as much as the olden days cup. Hmmmm.

My largest mug, courtesy of the USA Army, holds 16 ounces. By the way, in case you are wondering this is not just because mugs are typically made from ceramic and cups from china. At a recent bridal shower, a beautiful china coffee mug rivaled the size of my Army mug. She was not willing to swap with me.

Now it is easy for me to rationalize and say that I have no idea how many times those people in the '40s and '50s refilled their cups but I also am not going to divulge how often I refill my mug.

But it did cause me to ponder that if my view of a container of liquid is that much more in volume than previous generations, then my word picture of God filling my cup to overflowing should be that much more in abundance than those that have gone before me. Is it? Or am I increasing the capacity my heart for the things of this world? God takes my observations to an experimentation but He keeps bringing me back to the heart of the matter.

No comments: