Profile

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mountains made out of Hills

I thought people understood the difference between a hill and a mountain. I was wrong.

Like other things, it is a matter of perspective. Those people who live in relatively flat areas and have not traveled much outside of those areas, see any small rise in the ground as a hill and any slightly higher rise as a mountain.

But if you grew up in the shadow of the Rockies or the Cascade Mountain Ranges, only those rises of dramatic, steep, and majestic proportion deserve the title of mountain.

I really do not care what the technical definition of a mountain is; I still think it a mountain is relative to what you are used to. We have yet to see a mountain, by our definition, in this part of the country. We have seen entire ski slopes bragged about in this area that would barely qualify as a bunny slope on our mountains.And yes, we have been to the Smoky "Mountains".

I miss mountains.

As I yearn to see my Cascades or Rockies I am thinking that our earth in some ways is a fortaste of HEAVEN. Somehow, I think the mountains I now love will be dwarfed by the mountains in the new heaven and earth. It is a matter of perspective.

1 comment:

gutmanfam said...

I miss my mountains too! I remember feeling this very intensely when I first moved to So.Cal. I still cringe when my poor, mountain-deprived children call those hills we see from our back yard "mountains." Sigh...