Profile

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Especially for mothers

I love young moms. I truly do. There is a uniqueness to this time of mothering that is unlike any other. I have been honored to know many young moms who have taken seriously their biblical mandates to discipline their children toward godliness. The discipline is non-stop for these formative years. That discipline may encompass negative consequences but it can also be the right training of a child. This is definitely a period of transition and transformation. I considered to start another blog with that in mind but somehow that will not be keeping with my desire to simplify therefore--I will try to rotate some postings specifically for this unique and wonderful time period.

Recently I returned from an errand. Errands are something my children beg to be excluded from. Though that is not always possible, this time I did not take them but the MOMENT I walked in the door, questions assaulted me. I was overwhelmed and practically demanded ten minutes to adjust to homelife from the outside world.

In the ensuing moments of relative peace I pondered the demands I place on others in similar situations. Do I allow them to transition or do I demand them to enter into the next activity on my schedule just because I am ready? I know this is a fine line because we want immediate obedience but sometimes I think it would be better to teach timely obedience and to teach when it is appropriate to transition slowly to the next task. This, too, is a learned skill--maybe as much for mom to allow a transitional period as the child to learn to transition to the next activity in a timely manner.

Of course, I thought back to the times I have "hit" my husband with an issue the moment he walks through the door. Oops! No transition for him but he is mature, can handle it and I have been with the kids all day. Okay, so now you know the reasons I give to myself.

I am learning transitions are a refreshing kindness we can extend to others.

No comments: