Profile

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

When Jesus Speaks Plainly

Sunday's message was challenging. It spoke to the disciples' rebuttal, denial, and annoying comments made in the face of Jesus' proclamation that He would SUFFER, be REJECTED, and be KILLED (Mark 8:31). The text goes on to say that He stated these things PLAINLY. Okay, I would like Jesus to speak to me plainly, or so I thought. Hmmm. Then, I realize that I am a lot like Peter saying, "NO!" Peter was saying NO to God's plainly spoken plan. He was saying NO because Peter knew better than Jesus what should happen. Ouch! On one hand, Peter proclaims Jesus is Christ, the Son of God. On the other hand, Peter proclaims that Jesus has it all wrong. You know, scripture says that Peter rebuked Jesus. Peter did not just give his opinion or plead for a different way. Peter told Jesus that Jesus was wrong. Suppose Jesus told me plainly what the last two years would hold: Move to a new state, far away from family, different time zone, flooding pipes, hurricane winds, ice storm with no electricity, chronic and declining health condition, brain fog, death of three family members, traveling in blizzard conditions, different culture, different type of church situation, car accident . . . I am sure that I would have been screaming, "NO!" just as Peter did. God did not reveal these transitions in advance, but He has brought each into my life. I have to ask myself if I am rebuking God with words, "No!" Maybe I'm harboring these thoughts in the silent recesses of my heart? Am I puffed up in my own knowledge and wisdom? Or am I declaring in word, deed, and thought, "Thou art the Christ! Your plan is the best plan."

No comments: