Profile

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Making Memories with a Mystery Date

My husband did something really special. He made a memory right here in Louisville. Though the event sadly had to come to an end, the memory will linger with a delicious aroma and a part of downtown will remain a special reminder of love.

As you know, if you have read many of our adventures for the past two-plus years, most of our memories in Kentucky have been of a significant, challenging sort: Major storms, remodeling disasters, plumbing outbursts, friends leaving, church hunting, health crises, injuries, car accident (singular!), family leaving to live on their own, family moving far away, parents dying, etc . . .Because of this, we have regularly escaped Louisville for some special times together. It helped to get away. However, it seemed the only time we enjoyed was away.

 Early January, Trevor requested both his and my birthday funds for a mystery celebration. Mystery dates are something we do every few months when one of us plans a date and the other knows nothing of what might happen on that date. It is an idea we implemented and highly recommend after reading "Romancing the Moon." http://romancingthemoon.com/ BUT requesting all of our birthday funds was most unusual.

Last Friday morning I was instructed to pack an overnight bag with nice but comfortable clothing and to pick up Trevor from work about 4pm. At that point, he took over the driving. He nicely decided to no longer keep me in suspense but drove directly to our destination. As we drove up, I could not believe it and thought he was joking. We were at the entrance of one of the most expensive hotels in Louisville located next to the Ohio River. Knowing how much our birthday fund was,  I inquired how he managed to squeeze blood from turnips, he said they offered a special called "Romance on the River". Beautiful interior woodwork and very gracious guest representatives greeted us. Our spacious room overlooked the river and we enjoyed a spectacular sunset and the city lights.  Trevor added a dozen variegated orange/yellow roses to the window display.  We dined on the 25th floor overlooking the river and more city lights again with delicious gourmet food and pleasant atmosphere. No plans, no hurry, just time to relax and enjoy each other. The next day we enjoyed an ample breakfast buffet, a brisk walk through the winter chill and a leisurely check out time of 1pm.

Though I could have stayed another night or two or three :) I am so grateful for the little delights my husband planned and the time we just enjoyed together. Two of the very precious gifts he gave me was to arrange for someone else to be on call at work that weekend AND he handed his iphone into my care so it would not distract him. He focused on me and knew what would please me and now Louisville has a special memory that I will cherish.

I am ready to make some more memories!

1 comment:

Christine said...

What a precious memory, Carolyn! I'm so grateful that God has given you a man who treasures you and holds you in high esteem (so much so, that he would even relinquish his iphone! :).