Profile

Friday, December 3, 2010

Surprised by Math

One transition I did not expect was a change of heart towards math. My  head spins at numbers. Maybe this is why I do not care to shop or work on our budget or pay bills? I did diligently endure our mathematics lessons in our homeschooling but it was only a high priority because I knew it was important and marveled at those who found math intriguing.  Honestly, though, I always thought math was missing something important but had no clue as to what that was.

Then a friend put this little book into my hands: Beyond Numbers--A Practical Guide to Teaching Math Biblically by Katherine Loop. The author builds the case against our spiritually neutral view towards math and how we, as believers, need to use math to understand God more deeply, worship Him more thoroughly, and honor Him through service. In essence, we can use and teach math in a way that fulfills the chief purpose of man,"to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."

I love that the Miss Loop addresses the problems with just adding a Scripture verse  or the dangers of inserting "spiritual" parallels to a curriculum to make it "Christian". She instead goes to the foundation of teaching math biblically: our focus, our presentation, and our application. God's very character is displayed by math concepts and applications because it is His creation and this is how it needs to be taught.

So, if you are like me and avoid math, read this book to bring a glimmer of hope and purpose. If you delight in numbers, this book will bring a new depth to that delight. If you are teaching anyone math or thinking math is neutral, you have to read this book to protect the hearts and minds of yourself and those you love.

http://www.christianperspective.net/math.html

2 comments:

gutmanfam said...

We used her Thanksgiving devotional last month and are using her Christmas on right now. I've been impressed by her focus on glorifying God and worshiping Him in all we do. I haven't had time to check out the math book yet. Maybe it would be a good use of my time during 2 AM feedings???

Carolyn said...

I was wondering about her other work and will check into them sometime based on your excellent recommendation.